2021 (thus far)
While I’ve tried to avoid repetition from the same series, there were a few years where I didn’t have much choice. Turns out, there were a number of years where I binged little but fantasy. I’m not going to go in-depth on anything here, but I did want to explain 2011. At first, I tried for one book a year, but that was way too restrictive. There were too many years with too many great books I would’ve left out. Next I tried two a year but there were a couple of problems to that as well—specifically 2011, 2016, and 2020. But three was too many. Some years (like 2012-2014) I struggled even to get two. So I settled on two, with the exception of 2011, where I couldn’t avoid including three.
Some of my highlights from this list include:
- The Expanse – I’ve only read up to Book 6 but still the series is awesome and needs mentioning.
- Andy Weir – even though he had a ten year gap between killer reads (as Artemis fell flat).
- Pierce Brown – try as I may, I couldn’t avoid listing two from the Son of Mars trilogy.
- Authors Becky Chambers, Martha Wells, Adrian Tchaikovsky who somehow I managed to limit to one year each despite their amazing series.
In all—four authors (Andy Weir, Blake Crouch, James S.A. Corey, & Pierce Brown were featured twice. Brandon Sanderson, Becky Chambers, Nicholas Sansbury Smith, and Martha Wells each made the shortlist multiple times, but only ended up with the one book. There are four authors (Kristyn Merbeth, Danny Tobey, Madeline Ashby and Mur Lafferty) featured despite this being their only book I’ve yet read. And then two books—The Icarus Effect (Deus Ex) and The Slab (Gears of War)—that were based on video game franchises. While I’ve read all of these, I’ve only reviewed 8 of these:
- The Fold – by Peter Clines
- Hell Divers – by Nicholas Sansbury Smith
- Six Wakes – by Mur Lafferty
- Summer Frost – by Blake Crouch
- Fortuna – by Kristyn Merbeth
- The God Game – by Danny Tobey
- Automatic Reload – by Ferrett Steinmetz
- Doors of Sleep – by Tim Pratt
…Which I’ve decided to link up because why not.
Don’t know if anyone else is doing a list of their best from the last ten years, but I’d love to see your own picks! Any that I seriously missed on, or forgot to include? Do let me know;)